From First To Last

View previous topic View next topic Go down

From First To Last

Post by Nabonassar on Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Nabonassar had never set foot on Novus Orsa before. From the things he had heard, apart from the Geo Forge where Konstantine lived, it was the ass end of the universe. Dirty, disgusting, home to criminals and worse. Something one wouldn’t expect from one of the grand Celesin Empire’s worlds. He knew, in the way that one knew that religion was full of shit, that Celesin could not be a perfect place. A place of grand marble palaces on every worlds. Of rolling green fields full of crops on others. Mesiphidon was a warmonger and an imperialist tyrant. It was a wonder that all of his worlds weren’t like this one. But perhaps that was a ploy? A clever disguise to make others believe that this world was worthless when, in fact, it was probably the most valuable world within the Empire. For this world was where Nabonassar’s sister, Konstantine, did her work. Perhaps one of the most brilliant Kings in existence, Konstantine was constantly at work in the Geo Forge.

Nabonassar would be disturbing her this fine afternoon. He was, oddly enough, looking forward to a chat with his sister. It had been a very long time, and while it was no secret that most of his siblings felt ill at ease around Konstantine, Nabonassar felt quite comfortable. It was true, she was the imperfect first generation of his species, but her flaws had given her a gift that later generations, including himself, lacked. He opened the spacial distortion from inside his office in the Domus Solis Ortum and, crossing over, stepped out onto the platform that adjoined the docking port in the side of the cliff where the Geo Forge’s only entrance was not-so-subtly hidden. He smiled slightly as he approached the door, his eyes wandering over the surface of it and the area surrounding it, his eyes changing color so fast it would hardly be noticeable, until he found the camera. He stared up at it and smiled, “Greetings, inhabitants of the Geo Forge! Might my sister be able to come out and play? I feel a great desire to speak with her.”

He would settle in to wait, knowing it might take a while for Konstantine to emerge from the depths of her hidey hole. He had reports that she was only seen outside of it with one Nikolai Krause. Her protector and her friend, most likely. He fully expected the man to emerge from the opening with her. He know the man to be magi-enhanced, so he pictured Konstantine riding upon his shoulders like an overgrown child. The thought made him chuckle. All he really wanted from this encounter was to know if she was happy. A little check-in before the war began in earnest. And before he underwent ego-death or changed the face of the collective as had only been done once before.
Nabonassar
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

Alignment : Advisor to the Empress Regent, King

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From First To Last

Post by Konstantine on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:07 pm

Konstantine had just opened the packaging of a particularly artificial, cinnamon and glaze covered nuclear holocaust of a confection. Something not unlike a cinnamon bun but it certainly seemed as if whatever factory had forgotten what any kind of ‘bun’ looked like and decided to wing it. Only the most desperate and poor denizens and tunnel dwellers in Novus Orsa would eat such faire and often couldn't justify wasting their coin on such scuz, but, the little King thought they were delightful.

Anything baked or candied was delightful, really. And she had just been about to bite into it while sitting behind a console and viewing window several stories under Nabonassar in the enormous geoforge when one of her GREIL science officers (AKA, glorified lab assistants) shuffled into the room in his pale, seafoam blue lab frock and cargo scrubs to tell her she had a visitor.

’...I don’t care? I’m busy? You can even see that I’m busy, Drig— look at all the stuff I’m doing!’’ whinged the “Hive Queen” as the Geoforge staff had come to all her. Beyond the viewing room was an enormous, heavily fortified chamber where a massive humanoid construct all black and chitinous held a firearm proportionate to it’s stature. Now and then it turned and blank-fired at unseen targets. Some sort of virtual scrimmage for Trekka, perhaps? As for Konstantine she took a massive bite of the pseudo-roll almost in rebellion and frowned at Drig who had inherited the task of dealing with her and constantly apologized but insisted it was unusual and important.

The Forge staff was simultaneously in awe of Konstantine; her ideas, execution, off the chart intelligence and also exasperated of her. She acted every inch of the teenager she resembled, made strange demands and had murky morality. Not only that, she was apparently such an important asset that she had her own assigned eye and protector in the form of a Dominus— a big deal if there ever was one. All of the underlings and pet minds to Konstantine’s whims enjoyed their time in the forge until sometimes she went too far, sometimes people would get hurt. Others, she wouldnt speak to any of them for days at a time and ordered them from entering every area in the facility except for dormitories and mess halls. And now, one of them was practically begging her not to make things too complicated as they could tell the man outside was related to her. Perhaps her father or uncle? He’d said something like that and certainly looked the part. Only then did Drig have luck with the frowning, pouting young woman.

’Oh...you mean one of my...brother. Yeah, tcch. Fine. I’ll meet him outside. Let him know I’m coming to him— he’s got no reason to enter the forge and Big Daddy wouldn’t like it anyway.’ Annoyed but cooperating, Konstantine wolfed the rest of the baked disaster down and attempted to wipe a thick dusting of confectioner’s sugar from her black undershirt and matching tights. She was dressed more for a night in and movies more than she was for doing ultra science for the empire. No shoes or socks either, she simply tossed on a leather jacket with a built in hood and traipsed from the viewing room toward the lift. Drig had already fled.

Within moments the docking bay doors were opening and Konstantine was padding out. Novus Orsa was a northern coastal city, so, it was overcast and darkening rapidly; soon they’d be pelted in heavy, stinging rain— it came down here at least half of any given week and the tall, strapping young King had chosen a day with a particularly foreboding sky. Of course, she wouldnt be alone. Krause had likely come along. The big question was had he convinced her to put on any footwear?

’ Whatever it is, I didn’t do it!’ she’d call out when in range enough not to half to yell. Below the grated platform, rocks and the ocean roared; slamming against the mountain side of the forge’s top end and occasionally sending salt water through the mesh to splash everyone. Konstantine took a hand out of her pocket and made a gesture; engaging floodlights to illuminate the conversation. It would show she hadn’t changed much at all; her skin still boasted several symmetrically mirrored jacks across her collarbone, shoulders and on her neck and temples. Nothing was plugged into them for the time being.However, she must have been quite a jarring sight as she proudly wore a much smaller version of the Celesin lion crest affixed to the jacket. It likely wouldn’t serve the same purpose as those worn by the legendary Primoris.

’Whats got you out here on the coast, Nab?’
Konstantine
Neophyte
Neophyte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikolai on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:33 am

Nikolai's could never help his face from twisting when Konstantine ate one of those treats that tried to pass for cinnamon bun. But he had long ago learned she would eat whatever she wanted. Still he made the usual passing comment about needing to obviously bring more real food from home. He had tried once to bring her a bulk of actual treats. But then she ate them all in one sitting.

The man gave Drig a look of sympathy when he delivered the news of visitors, his charges reaction was... expected. If the visitor was anyone of importance within Celesin they had access to the forge and needn't knock. Ready to take his ease once more, the further information from Drig suddenly had Nikolai's back up. From the sounds of it she was being visited by another of her kind.

For once Nikolai had ceased in their odd relationship of him being an almost foster father trying to keep after the unruly king. Her shoes were left by her chair as he followed the small girl like woman into the elevator. "Is this truly wise Miss? You know my lord's view on the others of your kind besides yourself and the Empress. And now one shows up here. They can't access the forge I know you saw to that, but I don't like this."

Before the reached the top and the Elevator doors slid open Nikolai activated his helmet. The layered almost plate like armor covering his massive form becoming environmentally sealed as the armor automatically expanded from the collar of the suit to hood his head. Behind the mirrored and tinted visor of the helmet that masked his face two small points of light shone as his eyes illuminated beneath. The neural network of the suit displaying all vitals and readings of his armor in the retinal HUD.

Nikolai remained silent as he followed half a pace behind Konstanine, her towering shadow. Standing at 6'8 and broader and thicker then even the Emperor himself. Adorned in the black and silver heavy Templar like armor,  a shield larger then most men, the wicked mace at his belt and the legendary Solis Spear held in his right hand. The Alis Dominus was to most a terrifying sight, only further pronounced by the spray of water that never seemed to actually touch him, instead going around some sort of field that activated once the armor became sealed and battle ready.

All of the Alis Dominus were large, their size increased from the infusion and bonding of their Lord's essence. As Nabonassar likely saw from the Dominus sent on Caden's diplomatic envoy. But Nikolai was already a large man before undergoing the process. Though even now he still wasn't the largest of them. The lion crest of Celesin was engraved into the armor of his left shoulder while the crest of the Emperor himself was inscribed into the right shoulder. He hoped things did not turn sour, but Nikolai was a tense coil ready to be released at the first sign of threat to the charge he had grown unusually fond of.
Nikolai
nooblin
nooblin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nabonassar on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:58 am

Nabonassar waited, the acknowledgement that Konstantine was coming. Of course she would come. He had asked so very nicely. While Konstantine and her overlarge friend took a pleasant elevator ride, Nabonassar packed the bowl of his meerschaum with tobacco and lit it up while he watched the sky darken. He really wasn’t dressed for inclement weather. It would be a shame to get this particular suit wet. But thankfully Konstantine’s journey up from the abyss was shorter than he expected. He heard the doors begin to open behind him and he turned, a half-smile on his face as he saw the rather irregular looking young woman approaching. Without her shoes, no less. He couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped as she called out that she didn’t do it, whatever it was, “Dear sister, I am not here to accuse you of anything.”

He moved to meet Konstantine and Krause as they approached and he smiled down at the First King. He absolutely refused to call her, as some had begun to, the ‘dwarf-King’. He found it to be an utterly disgusting and repulsive nickname. Anyone who mouthed it in his presence would surely regret it. After all, Konstantine was the firstborn of the Kings. Nabonassar himself was not possible without the trial and error that resulted in Konstantine, “Before I address your question, my dear, I believe we’re forgetting our manners.” His eyes turned toward Konstantine’s shadow and flared several different colors before returning to their normal pale shade, “You must be Mr. Nikolai Krause. A pleasure. I am Nabonassar. If that light behind your visor I see is your eyes, please be aware that your unique capabilities will not be required. Konstantine is my sister, and I would sooner destroy the universe than harm her.”

His eyes turned back to Konstantine, “Well, let me start by saying that it’s lovely to see you in the flesh, dear. You’ve missed all the dreadfully boring parties at the collective. I’ve hardly seen hide nor hair of you since I was born. I thought we might find someplace to avoid the inclement weather coming and chat for a bit. Perhaps over lunch? I understand that this planet has several establishments that serve a tasty cup of noodles?” He smiled and offered her his hand, “I find myself at a nexus in my life. A point at which all of it will change, or it will end rather abruptly. I’ve been wanting to come and see you for some time. This may very well be my one and only chance.”
Nabonassar
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Konstantine on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:15 am

On the way in Konstantine had made it a point to try and soothe Nikolai’s grousing. He didn’t understand the Kings and that wasnt his fault; they were a secretive bunch.

’He won’t hurt me or anyone here. That’d violate protocol, anyway. Besides-,’ Kon briefly smeared her hands over her face to free it of any debris, crumbs and hopefully any smudges. The woman-child never seemed to be able to stay clean for more than an hour. ’Family’s family. He can’t go in the forge without my clearance anyway even if he is one of us. I mean, still my brother you know...can’t just tell him to take a hike. Not like we have bad blood, right? I know you don’t like it. But I swear-- it won’t be a big deal, I’m betting.’

Likely, she’d be quite wrong about that assumption. And so, an uneasy Nikolai and his charge would come face to face with King Nabonassar. Nikolai would be able to easily see the resemblance to Konstantine and the empress. They may as well have all been fraternal twins.

”Well, y’know...that’s usually why anybody else ever tries to get a-hold of me. So, I head ‘em off at the pass! My name’s Bennett...and I ain’t in it!’ Who knew where she’d picked up that little colloquialism. And while she knew her entire family had already heard of Krause, she still brought one of her hands up while turning and patted the man on his armor. Three solid thunks as if she wanted to show off how neat it was. ’Yeah, Nick here’s good people. He’s jus’ doin’ his job, you know? Lookin’ after lil ol’ me. Apparently that’s somethin’ I need.’ Konstantine was still slightly bitter about needing to be minded even she’d taken quite the little sister or foster daughter style liking to the man. And, she understood that she’d become a very valuable asset to the empire as well.

All was well with her so long as they let her freely toil away unhindered inside the Geo Forge.

’Noodles?’ The King perked up after allowing her brother’s smooth, cultured voice to wash over the pair and her little hands even knit their digits together. She was already smiling, of course. Nabonassar had said the magic words: Lunch, noodles, food in general. ’There’s good joints in this town for that. Especially if you like Udon or Mai Fun! Mister Nick’s gotta come tho. Pretty much non-negotiable. There’s my favorite place; Baba Yaga’s. Kind of a hole in the wall,’ And only then did she look down at her bare feet. They were likely going to go to a restaurant and Konstantine finally noticed she didn’t remember to slip on something quite important for patronizing public establishments. Her immediate solution was to shrug and turn her eyes back up to Nabonassar.

’Wait-- why would it be your last chance?’ she finally asked after remembering he’d even said it. What an odd thing for a King to say!

Konstantine
Neophyte
Neophyte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nabonassar on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:28 pm

The King smiled at Konstantine’s retort about Nikolai. He moved to wrap his arm around the little King’s shoulders, “Darling, all of us, each and every one of us, needs to be minded. Nebuchadnezzar has her assistant, Signe, Esarhaddon has Mesiphidon, I have Ajax. You have Nikolai. You see, if we don’t have someone to ground us, we can get lost in our grand schemes and lose sight of what is important.” He squeezed her shoulder lightly, “Also, you’ll like to know that I have made a connection with a real, human person. She’s quite exceptional, the only being I’ve ever met with a magnetosphere all her own.”

He chuckled softly when Konstantine perked up about the idea of having lunch and he listened as she listed off the places she knew about and he smiled, “Baba Yaga’s it is. Also, I happen to have a solution to your footwear problem.” He held out his free hand over which a spatial distortion opened, perfectly square. Into his hand dropped a black box with a Converse logo on the lid. The portal closed and he offered her the box. Inside was a pair of Converse high tops in Konstantine’s size and all laced up for her. He knew about Konstantine’s quirks and such, so he had to be prepared for the eventualities. He glanced back at Nikolai as he let Konstantine go so she could put on her shoes, “These should be somewhat easier to keep on her.”

He spread his hands, “Well dear, something rather momentous is about to happen. Something that may change my circumstances for good and all. There is a seventy-three percent chance of ego-death, as a matter of fact.” He glanced at Krause. The man would no doubt alert Mesiphidon if he knew what was happening. He couldn’t have the Emperor of Celesin in on his plan. That was one of the reasons why he had hoped Krause would be busy during this visit. Of course, when one’s job was to keep an eye on an eccentric King, what else could one possibly be busy with? He looked at Konstantine, “I merely wanted to come and have a talk with you. Find out if you are happy, if your life is fulfilled. You are, and always have been, the exception amongst us, and I very much wish to know you a little better before the time comes that I must give my existence into chance’s hands.”
Nabonassar
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Konstantine on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 pm

Konstantine made a somewhat embarrassed face and grimaced at his comparisons.

’Oh me a-and Nikolai aren’t like...Esarhaddon and Mesiphidon. He’s my guardian but I don’t have a, uh, familiar like the rest of you. But y’know what? That’s beside the point,’ Konstantine held her small hands up as if to say “Everybody pause; slow down for a moment” and her expression wasn’t one of wonder— it was one of familiarity and wariness. Nabonassar would likely understand then that, yes, a person walking around with a magnetosphere was extremely rare and shouldn’t have been possible. Seems Konstantine had beenn privy too something that her brother most certainly had not...and that was having heard of the woman in which he spoke. ’Your lady with the magnetosphere. Her name wouldn’t be Japetus, would it?’ she paused for only a small moment and then raised her hand again before he could confirm or deny.

’Sorry, wait. Japetus is one of her aliases. So is Radha, Azul and Lady Heron,’ a sigh and then she looked at Nabonassar and shook her head. ’These days they just call her Sparrow. She’s some kind of elemental titan and, a uh...a terrorist. For hire. One a lot of people know better than to trust these days,’ Grumbling; Konstantine pulled her hands out of her pockets and both were bangled in her Trekka console. She only had to make cornes with her fingers and expand them to bring up a bright screen seemingly from thin air. Pale, radium blue light would illuminate her face before she turned the holo-tablet up to face the other King; having to hold it up slightly due too his height. He and Ozymandias were the tallest of the Borgism. ’Every bounty hunter both on and offworld is engaged in constant chatter about this lady. Apparently, she is very difficult to find, much less grab or take out, though, all the orders for her specify its no kill. You be careful...you’ll be fine. But a lot of other people might not be.’

Now, irritated and worried she at least lit up for a moment when he pulled the shoes through and handed them to her. Konstantine opened the cardboard and cooed at the contents before instantly folding her knees to sit on the platform and slip the footwear on. She’d have been admiring how they looked hen Nabonassar dropped a second bomb much heavier than the whole “I’ve made friends with an infamous wanted terrorist” schtick. The moment her brother uttered “73%” she instantly knew what he was referring to. He confirmed it with “Ego death”. Nikolai might have the back of Konstantine’s head against his boot as her reaction was to simply sit up, stare at the other man and then fall onto her back with her arms spread and a long groan.

It would be nearly a full minute before she spoke again. In that time, the little proto-King made a decision. She knew she couldnt stop nabo from breaking his limiter even if it had killed the ego driving his core before (and circumstantial) to his existence. Konstantine was going to have to develop a way to reinforce all the remaining King’s limiters and exert some kind of control over them. None of them knew how familiar she was with them, after all….

’Ok, you know what? And as a favor to me just uhh...don’t mention the 73% chance of ego death thing again. I’m just a little bit tired of almost or definitely losing my family members,’ with knit brows the little King managed to sit up again and then get to her feet. She didn’t look very cheery, now but she was a good sport enough to make an effort. ’Eh, lets go get some noodles. And you can tell me all about how you made friends with a mass murdering terrorist. Sound good?’
Konstantine
Neophyte
Neophyte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nabonassar on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:04 am

Nabonassar arched a brow and stared long and hard at Konstantine when she appeared flustered at the comparison between herself and Nikolai to Esarhaddon and Mesiphidon. He then realized it was the embarrassment of the implication of Konstantine and intimacy of any kind. He smiled and shook his head, “No, no -” But then he was interrupted by her question. This was followed shortly by a list of aliases that made him frown slightly, brow creasing. He watched the screen as she scrolled through the articles of propaganda. He lifted his hand and paused in her scrolling, reviewing the stories and images. However, instead of looking any kind of upset he smiled as he swiped the images away, “Well, I can’t say I believe it all, but it certainly explains quite a bit. Mostly why she is suspicious of me and everything I say and do.”

He was glad to see that she delighted in the shoes he had prepared for just such an occasion, however that was spoiled by her reaction to the second piece of news he had for her. He sighed a little in exasperation, “We both know risks, however this is a choice that I have made for the good of others. My own personal gains should I succeed are immaterial. That is the last I will say upon the subject.” He then nodded, “Of course. To Baba Yaga’s!” He opened a portal large enough for the two of them, large enough even for Nikolai to pass through without having to stoop or sidle in sideways. He crossed through first, into the street outside the place and then waiting for Konstantine to join him as well as Nikolai before he let the portal close.

He wrapped an arm once more around Konstantine’s shoulders and lead her on toward the entrance, “So tell me, dear sister, do you enjoy it here? Not just in the Forge, but in Celesin itself? I’m only wondering because I’ve always been curious how you happen to feel about Mesiphidon and his kind. As well as his policies and such. As far as I can tell, no one has ever bothered to ask how you might view Mesiphidon’s style of rule.” He definitely wanted to steer the conversation about the so-called mass murdering terrorist. The Sparrow he knew, or perhaps the Sparrow he had seen, was not the terrorist type. He thought it would be best to have a conversation with the woman in question before speculating about what could be called smear campaigns.
Nabonassar
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Konstantine on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:47 am

’Would you believe I had a feeling you might respond something like that? Sheesh….’ Konstantine shook her head and then shrugged  when Nabonassar decided to close that particular avenue of discussion. The little King did wonder how he could claim he’d made a “real human connection” with her if by his declaration— said mass murdering terrorist trusted him about as far as she could throw him. It all seemed too complicated and she was already feeling somewhat apathetic about her. Her family was going to do whatever they chose and, as usual, would never take the advice of the the hive runt.

Now, it was time to step into Nabonassar’s portal along with Nikolai who likely hadn’t felt the need to say a word and would continue to be not unlike a coiled spring ready to tackle her brother if he decided to do anything funny. Kon knew he wouldn't do anything horrible by any means, but, now he was about to be privy to a conversation she knew would be reported back to Mesiphidon. Did it matter? That would remain to be seen. As far as she decided, there was nothing she needed to hide for reasons that might throw her sibling off balance.

Once inside Baba Yaga’s it would be as if someone suddenly cut  the  music and a dragon walked in. None of them would recognize Konstantine as she chose not to have a visible, notable presence in Novus Orsa and neither did they recognize her brother. However, everyone knew an Alis Dominus when they saw one. The staring didn’t bother the somewhat dirty waif— she ambled over to the counter decorated in tacky, rainbow garlands of tinsel and rope lights and ordered the largest possible bowl of something at least similar to pad thai. It looked as if it was meant to be family sized, at that. Only after joining the men wherever they chose to park would Konstantine get down to answering his question. She began with a noncommittal shrug around a mouthful of spicy noodles.

’Whats wrong with his policies?’ she’d ask; making sure to completely swallow her food before continuing on. ’If it gets things done, I don’t see what the issue is. All these places scrabbling at each other over stupid things like land, resources, blah blah blah. They end up self destructing after, what, a maximum of maybe four thousand years? And thats from small neighboring towns to entire world civilizations!’ A massive glass of something orange with cream and tapioca pearls swirling in it was delivered to the table. Konstantine drank half of it before marching on. The girl really could put down some food. ’Now, consider that this class of world is pretty damned rare all over the galaxy. At least in this one. So all these little bitty empires to big, whole worlds keep following the same narrative: development in homogeniety, basing cultures and economies around resources. Not realizing thats a silly idea. Attacking another setup for resources, destroying themselves once or a few times and starting it over and over again until they globalize. And then maybe they’ll see the stars. But it won’t really matter because war and resources,’ Another pause for a mouthful. ’Hey, do you know what the Kardeshev scale is?’

Now, whether or not Nabonassar or even Nikolai knew, Konstantine would give it a moment before continuing on. She understood her brother might be upset or annoyed by now, but, he’d asked!

’That scale is basically a way to measure the advancements of societies through technological singularities. The first hurdle is fully harnessing the power of the atom. Most civilizations don’t pass this hurdle because its kind of a goin’ theme that every introduction to said atoms happens because they  wanna weaponize it. I mean, where we’re originally from? It was a miracle that we didn’t vaporize our civilization. So, imagine you’re the Big Cheese an’ you’ve been around for awhile and see this happening over and over again because intelligent, sentient life is often violent life due to resources, scarcity and survival instincts. Especially all flavors of Hominid throughout the galaxy. What if, Nabonassar, you could use your power to stop all of that? Save the Hominids from themselves— you know...one of the exact reasons we were created? Although fair enough with completely different philosophies in mind. If you had that kinda strength and power to step in and act as an authority that would stop all the fighting and exploding civilizations and give all intelligent life, especially those belonging to the Hominid idiom a fighting chance to advance indefinitely instead of constantly going Pop! Goes the Civilization? Even if it meant you had to do it with a bit of strongarming while also getting rid of all that scarcity, oppression, inequality and war crap? I mean...the needs of the many outweigh those of the few, right?’

Another bite. Konstantine wasn’t watching to see how Nabonassar was reacting to her spiel. But, now that she’d explained her view on the so called “Bad Guy” of Sanctum and his machinations, she could get to the part about being happy.

’And to answer your question I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. Contributing to giving intelligent life a fighting chance in the big, galactic picture is pretty rewarding. I mean, if we’re honest? The only reason these nations get their underwear in a knot is hubris. Dangerous hubris. Oh, you don’t want to advance your people, never go hungry again, be protected by the most powerful Imperium in this galaxy and maybe a little further than that, end inequality and bypass the dangers of each required singularity step on the Kardeshev scale because, why— you really like the monarchy? War is fun?? You won’t feel so special anymore because you believe your culture is “unique”?’ She actually did the scare quote gesture, as well. ’Cultures are a dime a dozen. Pfeh. The majority never willingly join Celesin because they’re selfish. They don’t like the power they have over their people to be diminished. Thats the real violence, not the guy coming to shake shit up for a good cause. But none of it, even if it does get ugly sometimes but you know— omelettes, broken eggs and other metaphors— goes against my inborn protocols as a King. Plus...my laboratory is pretty damned sweet.’

With  half the teeming bowl of noodles done the waif rubbed her belly and realized again that her eyes had been quite a bit bigger  than her stomach.

’Why wouldn't I be happy? The ends really do justify the means if you really sit down and think about it. If you want to protect life maybe its a bad idea to let life run wild and beat itself over the head with a stick.’  

Now, would Nabonassar understand something slightly disturbing about Konstantine? Her measure of morality was somewhat  cold and murky even if her intentions were completely noble in nature. Not unlike the emperor in question himself...
Konstantine
Neophyte
Neophyte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nabonassar on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:18 am

Nabonassar listened. And listened. And listened some more. He did not really know what he had thought she would say. But he suspected that her views were one of the many reasons that she was comfortable here in Celesin. He laced his fingers together as she regaled him with her beliefs and philosophies. He nodded along to some things, but shook his head a little in disagreement at others. However, merely running her thoughts through his mind gave birth to a rather excellent idea. One that would allow coexistence to prevail throughout the universe. He respectfully waited until she was finished before smiling, “Someone has been drinking the proverbial kool-aid.” He chuckled a little at his own joke before he settled back into his seat, watching his older sister. How best to broach the subject?

He smiled, “Allow me to respond, sister?” Of course she would allow it. Family was for imposing upon. He removed his pipe and thumbed the bowl full, speaking while he did so, “You make some excellent points, Konstantine. That much is very true. However there is a flaw in your logic.” He didn’t really just say that, did he? Oh yes he did. Once the bowl was full he placed the stem between his teeth while he looked for his matches, and so he spoke around the pipe as he did so, “Stopping the self-destructive course of like that nature takes may be all well and good, but what of those who have reached the end of that particular process? The ones that have, as you say, become unified under a single banner and put an end to most, if not all, inequality, war and other such nonsense? This is where your argument falls apart.”

He finally found his matches and struck one, lighting the pipe and blowing the cloud of smoke toward the ceiling, “Do you see it, yet? No? Well, perhaps if I gave you an example.” He blew another cloud of smoke, “Let us use, for example, Black Sun. The continent has been unified under a singular government for two and a half thousand years. Inequality and hunger are not problems prevalent across their territory. They have not yet expanded to the stars, I think, due to contentment with their lot, however they have a number of projects underway being managed by myself and my attaché, Ajax. Now, what do you suppose a world like that gains from being absorbed into a place like Celesin? Space travel? Protection from hostile races? An overabundance of food?” He took another pull and blew it up toward the ceiling, “Space travel, for one thing, is something they can manage for themselves given time. Protection from hostile races? They have an alliance with Dorian to call upon in times of trouble, should their own forces be insufficient. As for food, well, why waste it? You see, the gains are far fewer at Black Sun’s level of development than, say, Earth. The losses far outweigh the gains. More than twenty-five hundred years of culture and history wiped away as if it had never been. A person who takes pride in his nation and in his world reduced to yet another citizen on an Imperial world if he does not display the abilities that Mesiphidon requires in his regional governors, fanatical zealotry being one of them, I assume. What then, is the point, of annexing it?”

Did she have an answer? Could she? He didn’t doubt it, but he answered his own question seconds later, “I believe it has everything to do with Mesiphidon’s ego. His pride. His belief that he is the best thing that ever happened to this universe. That one is merely an assumption. No, he does not do this purely out of the goodness of his heart.” He chuckled a little, pulling again on the meerschaum, “Please believe me when I say that I respect your opinions on this subject, but the ends do not always justify the means, Konstantine. I am happy that you are happy. Really. It pleases me to see you enjoying yourself in your surroundings. Also, would you like me to have that put in a container for you to take back to the Forge with you? I imagine it travels better than some other things I could name.”

Last edited by Nabonassar on Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nabonassar
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Konstantine on Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:51 am

Konstantine actually managed to look extremely hurt at Nabonassar saying she had drank any Kool-Aid. Silently, she added him to the list of her family members that would rather patronize her than actually take her viewpoints seriously. Well— that meant all of them now, didn’t it? The expression would only last for a moment before she turned her pale eyes back down to her food and began to play in the noodles again with a pinch at the center of her brows as there were levels to saying a King did not operate in full wisdom and autonomy and was only another powerful sycophant. She only had one thing to say.

’Nabonassar, the ones who jumped over the big hurdles are right here. That’s Celesin. And Dorian is close.  But— I’ve been drinking that school of thought before you were born. All of you…I just don’t want to see the universe burn because intelligence comes hand in hand with self centeredness,’ And she’d shrug, sigh and let him speak while not making eye contact. She was listening, however. Nabonassar thought he had provided her with an argument she hadn't yet thought of— self sufficiency, autonomy, the idea that these cultures already had what  they needed. He didn't understand that so many other worlds, cultures  and more who also had everything he had mentioned also had a high risk of self destruction just the same. He didn’t get it. But, Konstantine was always a bit of a pacifist when it came to discussions like this. Everyone always thought they knew better than she did.

’Well,’ she began, trying not to frown. Her voice was quiet and subdued. Nabonassar appeared to have forgotten he wasn’t dealing with another aggressive shark like Nebuchadnezzar.  ’I...guess you got me there, brother-mine.’ It was a lie, but, she did not have  the will to argue with him. There was simply no way out of him rationalizing the protection of another culture. Perhaps he would be there when it was time to make the do or die jump on the Kardeshev scale and save them from themselves? That is, if they managed to wriggle out from under Celesin’s thumb.

The ‘point’ to Nabonassar was potential and sufficiency in autonomy. Konstantine did not think such things could stop the inevitable. In fact, her vigorous studies had brought her to that conclusion. Not Mesiphidon’s “Kool-Aid”.

’So the Black Sun Empire. That’s the one you’re working with, then?’ she’d say; changing the subject before she got any more morose.  ’I can’t muck around in your investments but...keep them safe if you care so much, alright? And sometimes that means losing. You might not like the Emperor, but that doesn’t necessarily make him wrong.’ She knew all about the ultimatum delivered nearly a week prior by the Primoris Fulminis and Alis Dominus. She wanted  to ask if Nikolai had gone with Caden Dra’sin and if next time she could come along and get a scan of one of those freaky witches. The wee King held a particular fascination for them as she’d never seen any other magic users or practitioners operate in such a way. She imagined an exotic force was behind the Orda curtain. Now, however, she couldn't let her mind drift to strange witches and scientific possibilities as Nabo was asking her something about food.

’O-oh yeah, hah, I’m gonna need  a box. D’you think they have some desserts to go? How much money did you bring?’ All while managing to smile again, at least; and she was even rubbing her hands together when asking. Konstantine lacked a certain level of decorum and wasn’t shy about wanting to take some several cold delights, pastries and fried fruits to her Geoforge. ’But first…’

If Nabonassar thought she didnt have room for desert he was sorely mistaken. The same server from before ambled by the table and would field any requests for a box. They would also receive a request for mango sorbet with cream.

Konstantine
Neophyte
Neophyte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikolai on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:50 am

Nikolai had remained silent ever since arriving with Konstantine, her silent over large shadow. So it might have been strange when the soft clicking of his helmet receding into collar of his armor filled the moment of silence between the two. Their table had a wide berth of emptiness around it as everyone seemed to give them their space. The establishment used to much shadier clientele, not that Nikolai’s presence scared them off, but the crowd was very well behaved today. And more importantly despite a few glances they kept to their own business, which suited Nikolai just fine. He was used to the reactions, there were few places a Dominus didn’t cause a stir unless it was one of those rare times he was off duty.

With his helmet gone Nikolai turned his still glowing blue eyes to Konstatine before speaking with that accent that would never truly fade. ” Why do you hold your tongue little one?” A hint of brotherly affection tinged the almost nick name he had for the girl.  ” You should not remain silent when questioned so, you are Chief of Celesin R&D, trusted by my Lord, and Eldest of your kind. Do not let your confidence waiver before fools that have not attained the wisdom of elders. ” The big armored gauntlet dwarfed her shoulder as he gave it what could only be called a reassuring squeeze. ” You are Konstatine of Celesin, straighten that back little one and hold your place. ”

After the odd little pep talk Nikolai’s gaze turned to Nabonassar and his eyes narrowed. The man might have thought Nikolai little more than a silent brute or mindless warrior of the Imperium but there was a striking intelligence behind those cold blue eyes. ” For one who claims to be her brother you know so very little about her. Do not understand how she thinks and disregard her opinion as washed by propaganda and beneath your own. You remind me of the young warriors of my world, so full of confidence before learning better in the years to come. If you had seen the little one work you would know she does not make a single move until she has analyzed every possible angle and flaw countless times over.  That she has considered your line of thought more times than you yourself had.”  

Nikolai knew very little of the Kings, not more than he had gleaned from Konstatine herself or what she had said. But he was incredibly observant and the little King had become quite comfortable around him. Revealing more than she might have realized and giving him her opinions on things that she probably had not said aloud to others. Other times she would simply forget he was there and talk to herself. It was also those things that let him and his Emperor know Konstantine could be trusted, completely. But rather Konstatine would decide to speak her mind or not Nikolai had a few words himself. ” Your Black Sun is but a nation at peace a little bit beyond those of these Earth nations you mention, but it is a phase. The violence and the wars will come. Rather it is from them wishing to expand globally or others wishing the same. My world was similar but we had achieved global unity. Still others came and fighting would happen within as well as from outside. We all but destroyed ourselves, it was my Lord that saved us. We resisted as most do out of pride, but we fell. I witnessed myself the might of the Emperor and I still have nightmares of that terror unleashed.”

Nikoali laughed then, a rueful laugh before leaning in with what happened to be a smile. A very threatening smile but a smile. ”It is your ignorance of my Lord that will get you killed. For all the knowledge you claim to possess you do not seem to understand what my Lord or his kind are. What they are tasked with. His kind were born of the universe to protect it. I believe you are under the impression that the figure of our Emperor that walks this world is him." The smile faded from Nikolai lips and there was an almost reverence that passed across his gaze. The Alis Dominus were instilled with the essence of the Emperor, gifted their abilities through that rebirth. But it also linked them to their Lord. They knew the depth of his power, the purpose that flooded through his core and now into theirs.

The moment passed and his eyes focused again. ”What you have seen King Nabonassar is a shadow of a shadow of our Emperor. A small portion of himself to remind us all that he is here with us. My Lord is the strongest of the Twelve Emperors, the other 11 combined still cannot touch his strength. It is your Pride and your Ego sir that blind you, that will be the end of you. I have pride in my world, and the heritage that was preserved because of our Lord. I have pride in my Emperor and I have pride in the Imperium. None of these things need to be exclusive, but you hold your nation as above others in importance. It is your ego that your Black Sun is more important, more special than all the rest. Is your pride worth the death that will come, the butchers bill of resistance? Is your ego such that you consider your nation beyond others or the ability to be helped? All because you would be placed on equal footing with others under the banner of something greater than one nation. Celesin is the sum of its parts. The uniting of countless worlds and nations in peace and advancement. The preservation of cultures and heritages worlds over that would be dust by now. It is this you are defying. For your Ego, for your Pride.” It might be news to Nabonassar that Celesin was just one of twelve Imperiums overseen by Mesiphidon’s kind. Maybe painting a deeper picture of just how vast their influence was.

Nikolai’s tone had almost become chiding now. ” You claim my Lord does this out of pride and vainglory but you forget that he could destroy this world, this galaxy. That would be easier than the endless campaign he wages at cost to himself and to our people. You speak of resistance and allies but it is futile. No matter what strength you could attempt to gain. It will not be enough. No matter what allies you could try to your side it would not be enough. We Alis fight for our Emperor because we are the gentle hand of persuasion. Our Primoris are the hammer of reason. And my Lord, my Lord is the end of worlds. The Son of Ruin. I pray sir that your resistance does not call that terror to the field. Only a fools pride would have you stand against the hand of the universe and expect not to be brushed aside like leaves in the wind.” With that final word Nikolai stood.

Standing behind Konstantine until she finished her desert and whatever else she had required. Oh the Imperium would have foot the bill, anything for head of R&D. The Emperor saw to it that she was never left wanting. But the man had insulted his lord and his charge. Dismissed her as without wit or wisdom. For that he could foot the over large bill the little King would bring. It was the least of unpleasant things Nikolai had conceived for the man.

Last edited by Nikolai on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Nikolai
nooblin
nooblin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustan on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Konstantine had a great deal of freedom—enough that in maintaining the illusion of, the little genius was allowed to get away with a great deal, and her limitations were not made explicitly known to her, insofar as Drustan was concerned.  She was able to do as she pleased in her lab, and be the veritable king she wanted to be while in her forge.  The assumption was that everything she made would be to the benefit of Celesin, but in true freedom, that was not necessarily the case; and while it was an unspoken assumption that the King would be a hand of the empire, she nevertheless had other connections that may one day stand to conflict with Celesin’s interests.  There was undoubtedly a world where none of this was true, and Konstantine was loyal to a fault.  The Primoris Ignis, unaccustomed to taking unnecessary risks, did not operate with this world in mind.

There was confidence in Konstantine’s entourage; her protection was more than sufficient.  Celesin had gone to great lengths to accommodate her and keep their asset safe.  Alas, victory in battle was often the result of gaining information and relaying that information faster than the opposition—if a fight could be stopped before it even began, that was all the better.  As such, the illusion of freedom was important to keeping Konstantine in Novus Orsa, such that her creative mind was never stifled, but that mind was of great interest to many people other than Celesin, and that information was always relevant.  Eyes remained on Konstantine from all angles; few words about the dwarf King passed without Drustan hearing about it.  His office was over a thousand feet above the city; when he opened his window, the life of the streets below was silent to him, and the wind at such a high altitude was the only tune to accompany the neon lights that made Novus Orsa shine in the night.  But from his lofty perch, Drustan heard and saw everything.  At least, this was the reputation he’d worked hard to drill into the minds of the city’s citizens.  Those who toiled in the light felt safe while he stood over the city, while those who preferred to operate in the shadows felt the oppression of his watchfulness.

“Sir, the Forge is attempting to establish a connection.  Shall I connect them to your office?”  A jointly synthetic and feminine voice rang out into the room from ceiling-bound speakers.  Drustan, with hands secured behind his back, stood unmoving before a massive window in his office.  The wall had the multi-purpose of being Drustan’s view of the city, a 4th wall to make his office an actual room, the only significant source of light from which the glow of the city poured through, and his personal computer.  For this reason, the Primoris did not require a desk; merely a chair that could roll across the reflective surface of the dark, polished, concrete flooring.  “Put them through,” he responded, his bottomless voice rolling through the large room to fill it.  Without missing a beat, the window-screen manifested a box close to Drustan’s left side, and inside it were bars, each analyzing select wavelengths, and thus providing Drustan with analysis and authenticity during his communications.  “Report.”

“Sir, you asked us to document when Konstantine left the Forge, and to alert you if she had any visitors.”  Drustan stood in silence as he primed his brain for what information he was about to receive, his crimson eyes halved by lowered lids and his increasingly-characteristic furrowed brow.  “She left with an unidentified individual.”  ”Is Krause with her?”  “Yes, sir.  Alis Dominus Nikolai Krause accompanied Konstantine and the unknown male.  We’re receiving reports from city surveillance that they’ve taken refuge at a restaurant.”  Drustan didn’t take more than a few seconds to make a decision.  “Send the restaurant’s city coordinates to IRIS.  I’ll head there personally.”  IRIS, the computer and algorithm so-named for being the ‘eye’ of the city, was Drustan’s method of travel from his office parts of the city.  A spark of electricity cracked, and ran along a nigh-invisible ripple suddenly manifest at the room’s center.  The brief discharge was quickly accompanied by other like releases of energy as two-points in space were connected, the completion of which ripped a brilliant hole in the face of reality.  Drustan’s heavy, booted feet marched for the tear, and stepped through it to manifest at the entrance of the very restaurant he’d pegged as his destination.  The face of the restaurant was bathed in this same light for all of a few seconds before it closed behind the materialized form of Drustan, dressed down in the white-mantle of his station, and the heavy ballistic cuirass that said he was all business.  When he’d met with another such figure—one of such interest that he saw fit to put aside his duties to speak with her, he’d adorned civilian garb to avoid drawing attention to himself.  Now, attention would be his friend.  

Depending on who or what he was dealing with, he stood several feet from the restaurant's front doors, giving himself the opportunity to study his surroundings, the building, and whatever radiating energy was available for him to gobble up and analyze from the various lifeforms inside.  Just as well, this was the unknown party's (Nabonassar's) opportunity to flee if he did not want to deal with the Primoris.  It was as much a courtesy that the historically ill-tempered and violent Dra'sin gave him that opportunity, as it was a conscious-effort on the part of the Primoris to do little damage to the neighborhood.  If things went south, he could at least say he tried.
Drustan
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

Alignment : Celesin Imperium

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nabonassar on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:15 am

Nabonassar tapped out the ashes into his palm, over which there was a small portal which would deposit the ashes in the dirt just outside of town. He listened and watched the play of expressions across Konstantine’s face. It was then that he realized he’d hurt her feelings. He frown slightly, consciously, so that she would see it, then reached across the table to place his hand on her arm, “I’m sorry, Konstantine. I really am. I am not trying to talk you out of your position, which I am certain has been researched with the efficiency only you could manage.” However, when the Imperial Mouthpiece opened his mouth and spewed his zealous nonsense, Nabonassar looked at him, face impassive. He listened politely, however, the man’s tone and the look on his face when he spoke of his ‘Lord’ made nabonassar want to vomit. The shining righteousness was rather nauseating, and frankly, he couldn’t stand the idea of someone being such a blind follower.

However, he made the muscles in his face pull the corners of his lips into a smile as he addressed Nikolai, “My apologies, I have nothing but respect for the one who guards the most vulnerable of us.” And thus the King spake to the soldier, ‘Thou art a glorified nanny.’ In far more words, of course. He then turned toward Konstantine and ignored the Imperial Mouthpiece, “I did not intend this visit to be the one where you write me off as just another of your siblings who does not respect your opinion, dear sister. I merely wanted to see if you could convince me to take the Emperor’s deal. It is my fault that I have forgotten that you are not like Nebuchadnezzar or the others. Forgive me?” He very much wanted Konstantine to still believe that at least someone in her family believed in her. He wanted to be the one that kept that spark of hope alive in her.

His smile returned, however, when she began to question him about dessert, and how much money he had brought. He chuckled softly, “Dear sister, you could order one of everything on this particular menu and I would have enough money to buy this place afterward. Order whatever you like, I will pay for it.” It was a good thing he had gone through a number of planets for ore so that he might build his house. In gathering materials for the Domus Solis Ortum had also netted him a tidy sum in raw materials that he had translated into currency on many worlds. But even if Nikolai had attempted to foot this particular bill, Nabonassar wouldn’t have let him. The King wanted to do something nice for his sister, and do it he would. Let Nikolai think that he was punishing Nabonassar for speaking out of turn. But was it really a punishment if the King had been planning to do it all along?

He had just requested a to-go bowl when he detected the spacial distortion outside. Someone had just arrived, and in a manner that suggested it was someone important. Konstantine would be aware of the arrival too if she was paying attention. He turned his head toward the door, wondering why the person, or persons, did not enter. He’d look back toward Konstantine, “It seems we have another visitor. Any chance you are expecting someone, dear?”
Nabonassar
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Konstantine on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:30 am

Konstantine felt Nikolai’s gargantuan hand on her shoulder and smiled. He didn’t want her to be so passive  in the face of he felt was undoubtedly a massive slight both to her intellect and experience along with his lord and master: Mesiphidon Dra’sen. The young King, perhaps naively never truly thought of the emperor the way that those who served him did with unmitigated worship; truly conceptualizing him as a ‘god emperor’. In her eyes he was simply the boss and her brother-in-law who’d been nothing short of thorough in making sure she had all the resources she could possibly ask for. She actually thought he wasn’t such a bad guy at all once one got to know him. Then again it was Konstantine and all of her strange biases and unconventional ways of thinking in the end.

Silence save for chewing from the petite chief of research and development; her eyes watching Nabonassar’s as Nikolai sought to chew him out. Kings didn’t show microexpressions unless they were intentionally “speaking the language” of those they sought to hold council with as the body spoke just as much as the mouth. They could read such expression in fine detail on those not of their kind, but, her brother didn’t need to make his face dance for her to tell her was a touch annoyed with being proselytized too. However, a bit of preachiness didn’t make Nikolai Krause wrong— Celesin had and could reign terror down upon his empire that would be the stuff of nightmares. She hoped he would be smart about it beyond going against protocol and breaking his initial limiter.  Now, he was reaching across and laying his hand on her arm in earnest to apologize for hurting her feelings. Luckily, Konstantine was quick to forgive as always. She did, however, grimace at all the heat  from the Dominus. He’d spared no expense going in on her brother.

’Its alright...its just that I feel a certain way and you asked me to explain it, so,’ She’d trail off as just then her ice cream had arrived and she took a moment to order a wealth of items from the dessert menu (some in multiples) in order to have them boxed. Nikolai would get to grimace at her wolfing them down for days to come. It was highly unlikely that she’d bother eating anything but the confections. ’ And, ah...look. Nikolai’s not trying to bite your head off or anything,’ He definitely had, of course.’But, just think on it. Ok? In the end its best not to spill any blood isnt it?’ a sigh and a pause. While she definitely believed wholeheartedly in Celesin’s aims it would be nice if things didn’t often get so damned messy. Yes— Messy. There was a sort of background caring about lives lost and while Konstantine certainly wasn’t a sociopath, she didn’t necessarily think of those lives as singular units. More like one amorphous blob of vitae.

’And, to tell you the truth? I don’t really try to sell anybody on this sort of thing. Its got to be a personal conclusion to get there.’Now that she had finished speaking she had seized one of the cannoli style rolls that had come with her mango sorbet and rose partially out of her seat in the booth to try and feed a bite to Nabonassar. Often, she did the exact same thing to Nikolai and as usual, both men had the choice to open up and sample her offering or be faced with a smear of cream, chocolate, ice cream or powdered sugar across their chin or beard. However, her brother might be spared by the crackle outside unless he chose to lean in and meet her halfway. In a rare display of her Kingly talents as, sometimes, people seemed to forget what she was Konstantine’s eyes turned to pitch as she looked toward the doorway. The joined points in space glowed to her but the figure did not. Thus, the eyes switched to a saturated crimson and the void where Drustan stood signalled his species as a Dra’sin. They always showed up that way— like a mobile loss of the fabric of reality. It was hard to explain.

’Oh, hey,’ she started; features immediately glowing with joviality and delight. There was a big smile on her face as she waved at the figure standing tall and intimidating in full Ignis regalia while every face in Baba Yaga’s was aghast and silence fell over the meager crowd as they were stuck between fleeing or dropping to a knee in his presence. ’That’s Drustan Dradghurst! He’s a Primoris. Nice man, I made him a custom all terrain converting vehicle recently and a really cool concept weapon. You should have seen it, Nabs! He used it in the big fightin’ circuit all the Celesin special militants had to sign up for. And…’ If no one stopped her she’d go on and on in earnest about the specia, custom tailored weaponry and vehicles she’d built for each Primoris and sometimes for their highest ranking Alis or Legatus. It was clear that these things were all Konstantine’s passion— being a concept machinist of the highest order. No one on Sanctum and beyond had built things that could stand toe to toe with her ideas.

But what Nabonassar might find fascinating most of all was that she considered the Primoris and the Dominus to be personal friends to her. She was legendarily such a nice girl; always willing and wanting of companions and friends who didn’t think she was awkward,annoying or most of all completely bugfuck insane. And yet these men did at least see her as an asset even if they cared about her in their own strange ways. Drustan likely far less than Nikolai who had formed a true bond with the little King.

Or, was it possible she understood her value and simply didn’t care?
Konstantine
Neophyte
Neophyte

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustan on Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:33 pm

In the few minutes before Drustan entered, he took inventory of the sorts of lifeforms he could feel in the bar; what he could read off the energy that passed between them.   He took into consideration what the building looked like, and performed calculations predicting the outcome of applying force to key points on the exterior.  From his position and view into the restaurant, he could measure the inside of the building as well.  The Kings could do it too, he’d discovered; while the mechanisms behind how they did it may have been different from dra’sin, Kings nevertheless had a number of functions similar to those of the dra’sin—one among many reasons the Ignis general had chosen to become an expert on their species.  As he did so, the surface of his right thumb brushed against the fingers occupying the same hand, drawing the primoris’ ruby eyes down to his hand to witness the gesture, idiosyncratic of a human-remnant he was having trouble of letting go of.  But, it was an issue for a different time.

Now, seeming human as it were, didn’t stand in the way of objectives, and instead offered some unique opportunities (or so he assumed).  Perhaps he might come off as even more human than the Emperor and his most infamous hand (that brutish amazon ), and in some way endear himself to the other King in the building.  Drustan wasn’t looking to be liked, but at the very least not feared; respected was a much loftier goal, and usually had the better rewards.  His eyes returned to the door, his face neutral, and thereafter his booted feet carried him forward.  He breached the threshold of the restaurant; head bowed and right shoulder leading to allow his broad frame to clear the door.  

Despite having already surveyed the interior and the people in it, studied his surroundings again, starting from the wall opposite the duo of Kings and Nikolai.  Heads around the restaurant turned in waves, and the silence that fell over the room died to the growing rush of whispers and chatter that followed his entry.  Many people looked excited to see him, amazed they could be in the presence of the heroic figure whose continued efforts in cleaning up Novus Orsa had inspired thousands of the city’s inhabitants, thus renewing some lost hope and pride.  There were also those who looked concerned—they had every right to be given the Primoris’ ferocious reputation.  Even more looked suspended between awe and the part of their being that told them not to invade his personal space.  Drustan catered to the fanfare in the only way he knew how—adopting a half-smile for anyone who made eye contact.

Soon, the host and the restaurant’s manager were striding up to greet him.  This, apparently, was the result of celebrity (but probably mostly reverence).  Even after he’d stopped paying mind of the patrons, they remained focused on him, as if amazed to know that they could breathe his air, or that they didn’t spontaneously combust in his presence.  That was much more likely to occur if Mesiphidon had walked into the room.  The manager was kind (or intimidated) enough to escort Drustan to the table housing Konstantine, who was now able to properly introduce the primoris.  “Good evening,” he offered flatly, first to Konstantine as he shared a look with her, and then with the unknown King, who received a more thorough once over, but no longer than the look given to Konstantine.  Last was Nikolai, who at first only received a glance, but that eventually turned into a nod of its own.  “I heard Konstantine had guests.  I came to investigate.”  Drustan made his reasons for showing up abruptly known quickly, doing away with whatever mystery may have come with his arrival.  
Drustan
Casual practictioner
Casual practictioner

Alignment : Celesin Imperium

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: